MBA Admissions Overview
UNC Kenan-Flagler seeks students whose academic background, professional experience and leadership abilities meet the rigorous demands of our top-ranked programs.
MBA@UNC offers professionals the ability to start classes four times per year (January, April, July, October). We accept applications in rounds, and we recommend that you submit your completed application as soon as possible. When you submit your application for an earlier round, you will receive your decision earlier, and if admitted, you will be able to take advantage of these benefits:
- Priority registration and best selection of class times (when you apply by Round 2)
- Ability to attend global immersions before you begin the program (when you apply by Round 3)
- Priority consideration for MBA@UNC fellowships and additional time to plan your financing, including applying for financial aid
- Opportunity to build your professional and personal network at in-person and online events, such as networking and alumni events
- Time to plan for changes to your personal and professional schedules to accommodate the commitments of graduate school
Use the following deadlines in submitting your application:
|October 2013 Cohort||January 2014 Cohort|
|Round 1 — Closed||Round 1 — Closed|
|Round 2 — Closed||Round 2 — Closed|
|Round 3 — Closed||Round 3 — Aug. 5, 2013|
|Round 4 —Aug. 5, 2013||Round 4 — Nov. 4, 2013|
|April 2014 Cohort||July 2014 Cohort|
|Round 1 — Closed||Round 1 — Aug. 5, 2013|
|Round 2 — Aug. 5, 2013||Round 2 — Nov. 4, 2013|
|Round 3 — Nov. 4, 2013||Round 3 — Feb. 3, 2014|
|Round 4 — Feb. 3, 2014||Round 4 — May 5, 2014|
* Round 4 is the final application deadline.
We are happy to help you complete your application in time to be considered for your desired start date. If you have any questions, please contact us at 1.888.9UNC.MBA or OnlineMBA@unc.edu
You must have a bachelor’s degree. International candidates must have a college-level education equivalent to an American undergraduate or baccalaureate degree (the same as a first university degree). Generally this is a 4-year degree. There are a number of universities around the world that offer 3-year undergraduate programs. If you received a bachelor’s degree upon completion of one of these 3-year undergraduate programs, you are eligible to apply to our program. We evaluate your ability to perform from your academic transcripts and Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores. Please mail to: MBA@UNC, 8201 Corporate Dr. Suite 900, Landover, MD 20785.
- Special instructions for applicants educated outside the U.S.: If you completed your education outside of the U.S., you will need to have your academic transcripts reviewed by the World Education Service (WES). They will compare your international education and grades with the U.S. system and produce an evaluation report to help us determine if your credentials meet the qualifications of the UNC Kenan-Flagler School of Business.
- To have your international credentials evaluated, please contact the World Education Service and request the WES ICAP: International Credential Advantage Package. Fees for a complete course-by-course evaluation from WES can be found here.
There are four essay questions on the application – three required and one optional – which will be used to evaluate your written communication skills. The essays should be no more than two double-spaced pages.
EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE AND LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
MBA@UNC applicants must have a minimum of two years professional work experience. We value advanced degrees, but they are not a substitute for work experience. You must also submit three professional recommendations with your application.
Basic business knowledge is required for all students enrolled in the MBA@UNC. You must have an understanding of basic accounting, statistics, finance and economics principles. You also need to be proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
We require the GMAT or GRE from all applicants. Our school code for GMAT is D40.HL.07 and GRE is 0024. TOEFL, IELTS or PTE Academic is required for applicants for whom English is not the native language. Our school code for these tests is also 5816. Applicants do not need to submit a TOEFL, IELTS or PTE score if:
- They earned an undergraduate or graduate degree at a U.S. college or university
- Their total education was conducted in English in a native English-speaking country
- They earned an undergraduate degree or graduate degree from India. We will request test scores from some Indian candidates as needed.
If you hold an advanced degree in a technical field (science, technology, engineering, medicine or math), you may be eligible to receive a GRE/GMAT waiver. Contact an admissions counselor at 1.888.9UNC.MBA to learn more about applying for a GRE/GMAT waiver.
An interview is required for admission into the MBA@UNC. After we receive your application, we will contact you to set up a personal interview. Interviews will be conducted in English via videoconference using a basic webcam, which is integrated into most laptop computers. We will invite you to participate in the interview after we have received transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate coursework.
The application fee for the MBA@UNC is $145 and it is non-refundable.
All US military service members, both active duty and veterans, qualify for an application fee waiver. Also, candidates who are currently employed by Teach For America, Americorps or the Peace Corps, or who have successfully completed their service within the past three years, are eligible for a fee waiver. Candidates who qualify for an application fee waiver must send a formal request to the Office of Admissions along with supporting documentation of their current military status or employment before submitting the application. Military applicants should submit a copy of Form DD-214 or other proof of service (i.e. Statement of Service or Leave and Earnings statement). A refund cannot be issued for an application fee already paid.
If you are ready to take the next step forward in your career as a global leader, you can apply online for the MBA@UNC.