UNC Kenan-Flagler seeks students whose academic background, professional experience and leadership abilities meet the rigorous demands of our top-ranked programs.
If you are ready to take the next step in your career as a global leader, you can apply online for MBA@UNC.
MBA@UNC’s testing requirement is based on the applicant’s number of years of professional full-time work experience.
For those with 7 or more years of professional full-time work experience:
- A GMAT or GRE score report is not required.
- Applicants may opt to submit a current test score as part of the application if they so choose.
- The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request a score report as additional information to more thoroughly assess an applicant’s quantitative and analytical readiness for the academic rigor of the program.
For those with less than 7 years of professional full-time work experience:
- A GMAT or GRE score report is required.
- A waiver may be considered for a candidate whose academic records and professional work experience demonstrate a high level of quantitative and analytical skill and ability necessary for academic success in the MBA@UNC program.
- To request a waiver, visit our GMAT/GRE Waiver Policy page.
Our school code for the GMAT test is D40.HL.07 and the GRE test is 0024. There are a number of test preparation services available for the GMAT or GRE exam, such as Manhattan Prep and The Princeton Review. MBA@UNC offers aspiring students discounted test preparation resources. Take advantage of MBA@UNC GRE/GMAT resources here. Alternatively, you can take a free GMAT simulation test.
If English is not your native language, you will be required to take the TOEFL, IELTS or PTE Academic exam. Our school code for these tests is 5816. You do not need to submit a TOEFL, IELTS or PTE score if you:
- Earned an undergraduate or graduate degree at a U.S. college or university
- Conducted your total education in English in a native English-speaking country
- Earned an undergraduate degree or graduate degree from India. We will request test scores from some Indian candidates as needed.
You must have a bachelor’s degree. We evaluate your ability to perform from your academic transcripts and Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores. Please send official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to:
- Email official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org or select University of North Carolina, Online MBA, if listed as an option through a vendor.
- MBA@UNC, 8201 Corporate Dr. Suite 900, Landover, MD 20785.
MBA@UNC applicants must have a minimum of two years of professional work experience. While we value advanced degrees as part of an application they are not a substitute for work experience.
Letters Of Recommendation
You are required to submit three professional recommendations with your application that speak to your dedication and professional abilities.
An interview is required for admission into MBA@UNC. After you have submitted your application, we will contact you to set up a personal interview. Interviews will be conducted in English via video conference using a basic webcam, which is integrated into most laptop computers. Interviews must be completed before your application is reviewed by the admissions team. Slots are limited and highly sought after, so we encourage you to schedule your interview as early as possible.
The application fee for MBA@UNC is $145 and it is non-refundable.
All U.S. military service members, both active duty and veterans, qualify for an application fee waiver. Also, candidates who are currently employed by Teach For America, Americorps or the Peace Corps, or who have successfully completed their service within the past three years, are eligible for a fee waiver. Candidates who qualify for an application fee waiver must send a formal request to the Office of Admissions along with supporting documentation of their current military status or employment before submitting the application. Military applicants should submit a copy of Form DD-214 or other proof of service (i.e. Statement of Service or Leave and Earnings statement). A refund cannot be issued for an application fee already paid.
International candidates must have a college-level education equivalent to an American undergraduate or baccalaureate degree (the same as a first university degree). Generally this is a four-year degree. There are a number of universities around the world that offer three-year undergraduate programs. If you received a bachelor’s degree upon completion of one of these three-year undergraduate programs, you are eligible to apply to our program.
International students may submit an application for admission without an official academic transcript review by the World Education Service (WES). Once an International student is admitted to the program, their academic transcripts will need to be reviewed by WES. They will compare your international education and grades with the U.S. system and produce an evaluation report to help us determine if your credentials meet the qualifications of the UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School. Due to the length of this process, it is recommended that international students submit their application by the third deadline of the cohort they wish to enroll in.
Students submitting international credentials that require WES (World Education Service) evaluation will have the cost of the evaluation covered by the MBA@UNC program upon admission to the program. To learn more about this process, please contact a member of the Admissions Team at 1.888.9UNC.MBA or OnlineMBA@unc.edu.