An Online MBA Specializing in Entrepreneurship
From discovering new ventures to managing technology to directing corporate strategies, entrepreneurs need expertise in a broad spectrum of specialty topics in order to thrive in today's competitive business environment. MBA@UNC's entrepreneurship MBA concentration prepares aspiring business leaders with the skills and confidence they need to make their business a lasting success.
Through targeted electives, faculty mentorship and high-level networking opportunities, students in the entrepreneurship MBA concentration develop the skills, resources and connections they need to develop their ideas.
Careers in Entrepreneurship
Innovation and an influx of new businesses are rapidly becoming driving factors in the global business market. This influx has led to expanded opportunities for professionals in a variety of entrepreneurship-related roles, including:
- Founder — The founder (and co-founders) of startup companies are responsible for bringing an idea to life and taking on all aspects of a company until it's large enough to hire additional employees. Founders are involved with all aspects of a company's growth, such as product prototyping, manufacturing, marketing, raising capital, operations and technology.
- Funder — Also known as venture capitalists (VCs), these individuals help start, grow or mature small firms and startups. VCs work with the investment team to look for companies that have potential to grow; analyze the company's accomplishments, goals and business models; and advise them in developing their business.
- Corporate Innovator — Executives in this pathway work for medium to large corporations and can be responsible for generating innovative new ways to do business within a company. Corporate innovators identify new markets to enter, spread best practices to promote efficiency and shepherd innovative ideas through the product life cycle.
- Early Executive — Early senior managers at startup companies often benefit from approaching their roles with an entrepreneurial mindset. These professionals help young companies operate more efficiently and can develop a better understanding of how to start their own future businesses.
UNC Kenan-Flagler alumni have gone on to start, support or grow innovative companies in a wide range of industries. Meet some of our notable entrepreneurial alums:
- Brent Callinicos: Early Executive, Uber
- Joseph Colopy: Founder, Bronto Software
- Jason Kilar: Founder, Hulu
- Martin Lagod: Funder, Firelake Capital Management
- Julian Robertson: Founder, Tiger Management
- Amit Singh: Founder, Spectraforce
- Bill Starling: Founder, Synergy Life Science Partners
- Jeff Tucker: Early Executive, Century Bridge Capital
- Sumit Vohra: Founder, Lonerider Brewing Company
- Matt Williamson: Founder, Windsor Circle
- Tucker York: Early Executive, Goldman Sachs
- Z. Biri Singh: Early Executive, Cisco
CEO of Bundoo
MBA@UNC Class of 2016
Entrepreneurship Job Titles
In addition to founders and co-founders, there are a wide variety of potential careers that entrepreneurship MBA graduates can pursue, including:
- Venture Capitalist
- Innovation Consultant
- Change Agent
- Growth Marketer
Entrepreneurship Education at UNC Kenan-Flagler
UNC Kenan-Flagler students learn how to apply core principles to their own business plans. Both in class and through in-person learning opportunities, students acquire the skills to identify potentially lucrative and financially viable enterprise opportunities, refine and develop their strategies to secure funding, and expand their initial business vision over time.
The following entrepreneurship courses are currently offered to MBA@UNC students. However, course offerings are subject to change, and not all electives are offered every term.
- Business Strategy
- Marketing: Analysis and Development
- Technology Strategy and Business Innovation
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Developing Economies
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- Leading in the Middle
- Managing Innovation
- New Ventures Discovery
Our data analytics concentration is led by faculty members who have extensive experience helping businesses use data to improve essential processes. Our faculty leverage their direct experience to lead collaborative classes and design practical coursework exercises.
Career and Leadership Consulting Services
MBA@UNC's dedicated Career and Leadership team works with students one-on-one to design an individualized career management strategy. These strategies integrate high-caliber UNC Kenan-Flagler resources and consultative services to maximize the return on each student's career investment through the MBA@UNC program.
Learn More About MBA@UNC
See how UNC Kenan-Flagler's no. 1–ranked online MBA helps aspiring entrepreneurs start or grow businesses by learning more about MBA@UNC. Download our comprehensive brochure now.