An Online MBA Specializing in Marketing
Mobile technology, social media and exponential growth in e-commerce have fundamentally changed the way companies interact with consumers. To better connect with a global audience, marketing professionals need the skills to identify consumer purchasing trends, leverage new technologies and analyze large volumes of analytics data to develop and execute competitive marketing strategies.
MBA@UNC's marketing concentration prepares students to enter or advance their careers in this rapidly changing landscape through experiential learning opportunities and skills-building courses exploring marketing strategy, analysis and execution in a digital, global economy.
Career Outlook for Marketing Professionals
As it becomes increasingly difficult for companies to stand out in a crowded marketplace, opportunities for skilled marketing professionals are growing rapidly.
Marketing Job Market
249,600 Number of jobs in 2016
10% Projected industry growth by 2026
$129,380 Median annual salary in 2017
All statistics based on advertising, promotions and marketing manager roles via the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (last modified April 13, 2018).
Careers in Marketing
Graduates with an online MBA with a focus in marketing can pursue a wide variety of career paths in:
- Advertising—In this dynamic field, advertising managers, media directors and account executives help drive campaigns that generate consumer interest, prepare budgets for brand-building efforts and oversee all activities aimed at cultivating new clients.
- Brand Management/Strategy—Brand managers create and maintain the identities that make products memorable and profitable. This includes overseeing market research, developing marketing strategies, estimating product demand and developing guidelines for maintaining brand identity across all channels.
- Market Research—Market research analysts help companies identify the products consumers want and the prices they are willing to pay. Using statistical techniques, they analyze demographic data and market conditions, evaluate competing products, forecast sales trends and evaluate marketing strategies.
- Online Marketing—These tech-savvy marketing professionals leverage the Internet, social media and mobile technology to reach targeted markets. Their typical toolbox includes search engine optimization, data analysis and marketing automation strategies.
- Product Marketing/Management—Product marketing managers serve as liaisons between engineering teams and the business, marketing and sales staffs. One of the key roles of the product marketing manager is to articulate the benefits of products to the sales team and the consumer.
- Public Relations (PR)—PR professionals build and maintain a positive relationship between their organization and its client base. Under the broad PR umbrella, PR managers or directors may develop and execute strategic communication plans, advise and counsel management, or analyze client attitudes and perceptions.
- Sales—While duties vary by company size, sales managers typically are responsible for hiring and training sales staff, setting sales goals and ensuring those goals are met.
Job Titles in Marketing
- Account Executive
- Advertising Manager
- Media Director
- Brand Marketing Manager
- Product Marketing Manager
- PR Manager, Director or Officer
- Marketing Director
- Market Researcher
- Marketing Data Analyst
- Online Marketing Manager
Marketing Education at UNC Kenan-Flagler
At UNC Kenan-Flagler, we prepare our students for success in marketing through our career-focused curriculum, hands-on learning opportunities, personalized career and leadership services, and connections with the UNC Kenan-Flagler alumni network.
The following marketing courses are currently offered to MBA@UNC students. However, course offerings are subject to change, and not all electives are offered every term.
- Business Strategy
- Marketing Strategy, Analysis and Development
- Digital Marketing
- Global Brand Strategy
- Information for Decision Making, Incentives and Strategy
- Managing Modern Customers and Markets
- Services Marketing
Our marketing concentration is led by faculty members with extensive experience in consulting, global marketing and branding. Through both scholarly and popular publications, they've established thought leadership in their respective fields.
Career and Leadership Development Services
Targeted Career Search Guidance
The Career and Leadership team works with students one-on-one to create an individualized career management strategy designed to maximize each student's return on their investment. Through career exploration, personal branding development and customized job search and networking advice, the Career and Leadership staff helps you target and execute on new opportunities.
MBA@UNC students have access to national and specialized MBA conferences and career fairs. To ensure students get the most out of these opportunities, the Career & Leadership Services team is available to assist with preparing resumes and developing interview skills.
MBA@UNC students have gone on to achieve success at leading corporations, including:
- BASF Corporation
- The WB
Learn More About MBA@UNC's Marketing Concentration
Take the first steps to becoming a leader in the fast-paced field of marketing. Discover why MBA@UNC is ranked as one of the nation's best online MBA programs1.