An Online MBA Specializing in Finance
MBA@UNC's Finance MBA concentration is designed for working professionals pursuing careers in the fast-paced, competitive financial sector. Through a variety of elective courses, this concentration helps students learn about a broad range of financial services, including capital markets, corporate valuation, tax, mergers and acquisitions, real estate, and financial reporting and analysis. In addition, students will learn how to nurture their business acumen and leadership skills and apply them to real-world situations.
Career Outlook in Finance
Encompassing a wide variety of positions, finance is a competitive field offering excellent compensation for those with the right skills and credentials. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employers increasingly seek candidates with a master's degree or other certification.
Finance Job Market
580,400 Number of jobs in 2016
19% Projected industry growth by 2026
$125,080 Median annual salary in 2017
All statistics based on financial manager roles via the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (last modified April 13, 2018).
Careers in Finance
Graduates with an online MBA in finance are positioned to excel in roles providing financial services, such as:
- Accounting and Auditing—Whether working in public accounting firms or industry, accountants and auditors are typically responsible for examining and preparing financial records, ensuring compliance with applicable tax law and generally accepted accounting procedures, and recommending ways to improve operations and financial performance. Depending upon duties, additional credentials such as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license may be required.
- Financial Analysis—These highly skilled professionals help businesses evaluate investment decisions based on industry and economic trends, current and past business performance and valuation of assets. Analysts work across a range of industries, including investment and commercial banking, private equity, pension fund management and insurance companies.
- Taxation—Finance professionals specializing in this field play a critical role in evaluating the tax implications of business decisions and recommending strategies to minimize the taxes paid. Depending upon their credentials, they may also prepare corporate or individual tax returns.
- Investment Banking—Investment banks perform a wide variety of services including advising businesses and government agencies on how to raise capital, facilitating mergers and acquisitions, pricing financial instruments and acting as brokers and financial advisors to institutional clients.
- Private Equity—Raising capital from high net worth individuals and institutional investors, private equity firms invest in privately held companies for the purpose of developing new products, expanding operations or restructuring ownership. Professionals often enter these firms as analysts.
Job Titles in Finance
- Budget Analyst
- Chief Financial Officer
- Director of Finance
- Financial Manager
- Payroll Director
Finance Education at UNC Kenan-Flagler
At UNC Kenan-Flagler, we prepare our students for success in finance through a rigorous curriculum, hands-on learning opportunities, personalized career and leadership services and connections with the UNC Kenan-Flagler alumni network.
The following finance courses are currently offered to MBA@UNC students. However, course offerings are subject to change, and not all electives are offered every term.
- Introductory Finance
- Financial Accounting
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Global Finance and Emerging Markets
- Information for Decision Making, Incentives and Strategy
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- Taxes and Business Strategy
MBA@UNC finance faculty includes experienced finance industry leaders as well as award-winning researchers and educators. Combining real-world experience and cutting-edge research, our faculty offers unique insights in fields ranging from entrepreneurial finance and financial intermediation to asset pricing models.
Career & Leadership Consulting Services
Targeted Career Search Guidance
The Career and Leadership team works with students one-on-one to create an individualized career management strategy designed to maximize each student's return on their investment. Through career exploration, personal branding development and customized job search and networking advice, the Career and Leadership staff help students target and execute on new opportunities.
MBA@UNC students have gone on to positions at some of the world's leading corporations, including:
- Bank of America
- Credit Suisse
- Goldman Sachs & Co.
- J.P. Morgan
- Merrill Lynch Wealth Management
- Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.
Learn More About MBA@UNC
Take the first steps to becoming a leader in finance. Discover why MBA@UNC is ranked as one of the nation's best online MBA programs.