Tuition, Billing Financial Aid and Military Benefits FAQ
How is MBA@UNC different from other MBA programs?
How does the online MBA compare with UNC’s other MBA formats?
Who will my classmates be?
When will classes begin?
How long will it take to complete my degree in MBA@UNC?
May I take electives or declare a concentration?
- Data Analytics and Decision Making
- Strategy and Consulting
What’s required of students who take an MBA@UNC course?
- Preparation outside of class, including teamwork and assignments that may include readings, cases, projects and papers.
- Lectures and delivery of new information in an asynchronous format.
- Weekly virtual meetings in a synchronous format. This may include case discussions, role plays, breakout groups and other discussions to drive learning.
- Quarterly three-day Summits. Students will be responsible for completing all coursework for the Summits and are required to attend at least two over the duration of the program.
Is MBA@UNC delivered completely online?
How much time should I expect to dedicate to MBA@UNC?
What type of career support is provided to MBA@UNC students?
What are the requirements for admission?
Is work experience required?
Is an undergraduate degree required?
Do I have to take the GMAT?
- You earned an undergraduate or graduate degree at a U.S. college or university
- You total education was conducted in English in a native English-speaking country
- You earned an undergraduate degree or graduate degree from India. We will request test scores from some Indian candidates as needed
Can I request that my transcripts be sent electronically?
Is an interview required?
Are there any prerequisite courses?
What is required in the application?
Do you accept transfer credits?
Tuition and Billing
How much does the MBA@UNC Online Graduate program cost?
How much is the enrollment deposit, and when is it due?
Will I know the amount of my financial aid award before I have to submit an enrollment deposit?
How is tuition billed?
- Tuition is billed on the 15th of the month prior to each quarter.
- Tuition is due on the second Tuesday of the month that each quarter starts.
- Financial aid is disbursed directly to the Cashier’s Office and student loan funds will be credited directly toward any outstanding tuition balance due.
How do I view my bill?
What are the accepted forms of payment?
- Payments from your checking account
- Must be drawn from a U.S. bank.
- No fee when paying with this option.
How to find your account number or routing number.
- Credit/Debit card payments
- We accept American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa.
- There is a 2.85% or minimum $3.00 non-refundable transaction fee to use credit/debit cards.
How does my employer go about paying the school?
Are payment plan options available for online students?
What are the consequences if my tuition bill is not paid when classes begin?
If I’m eligible to receive a refund, what is the process?
What is the Title IV Authorization?
Who can I contact at UNC for billing and payment questions?
UNC Student Portal
What is the UNC student portal?
How do I set up my UNC ID and Password?
When will I get access to my UNC User Account?
How do I set up my UNC email address?
Financial Aid at UNC
Does UNC offer internal scholarships to online students?
Are there UNC specific supplemental financial aid forms I need to complete?
Do I need to include my social security number (SSN) in my application for admission to be eligible for aid?
What are my financing options?
Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans
Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans
What federal student aid is available to graduate students?
Why are graduate students not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant or the Federal Subsidized Loan?
Are there academic standards I must meet to continue to receive federal student aid?
What is the minimum number of credits required to receive federal student aid?
Do I have to be full-time to receive financial aid?
What are private loans?
Are private loans offered at UNC?
Private Education Loans for International Students (for students with a U.S. co-signer).
Private Education Loans (may not require a co-signer)
- HDFC Credila is available for Indian students only
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China is available for Chinese students only
- Bank of China is available for Chinese students only
- FIDERH is available for Mexican students only
- Prodigy Finance (does not require a U.S. co-signer)
- MPOWER Financing (does not require a U.S. co-signer)
Private Education Loan (for students without a U.S. co-signer)
- Borrow up to $40,000 of your annual cost of attendance
- No fees
- No co-signer
- No payments required until nine months after you graduate or your enrollment status drops below half time
- Rewards for Good Grades
When will I receive my financial aid award?
How do I accept my financial aid award?
Am I required to accept the full amount that I am offered on my award letter?
Does my Direct Loan eligibility cover the entire cost of the program?
- United States citizen or permanent resident
- Not in default on any undergraduate or graduate federal education loans
- Have not exceeded 138,500 in federal student loan debt for both undergraduate and graduate loans
When will loans disburse to my student account?
Can I use loan funds to cover additional expenses such as living, books, supplies, etc.?
Is there a Summit required for this program? If so, will I be able to use loan funds to cover Summit expenses?
Who can I contact at UNC for financial aid questions?
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
What is the UNC FAFSA school code?
Do I need my parents’ tax information to complete the FAFSA?
What is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?
When should I complete the FAFSA?
What constitutes an academic year for federal student aid?
What criteria is used to determine eligibility for federal student aid?
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
- Have a valid Social Security Number (SSN)
- Be registered with Selective Service, if you are male (must register between the ages of 18 and 25)
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible degree program
- Be enrolled at least half-time in an eligible program
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
- Not currently be in default on previous federal student loans
- Not have exceeded the maximum aggregate loan limit
What is the aggregate loan limit?
How do I find out if I am near my aggregate loan limit or have defaulted on a federal student loan?
Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
What is the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
How much am I eligible for with the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
How do I apply for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
What is the current interest rate for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
Are there any loan fees for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
When do I begin repayment on my Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
What is the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
What are the eligibility and credit criteria to apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
What is the current interest rate for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
Are there any loan fees for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
How much can I borrow from the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
Do Direct PLUS Loans affect my aggregate loan limit?
When and how do I apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
What are the next steps if I’m approved for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
What are my options if I’m denied the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
When do I begin repayment on my Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
Student Loan Repayment
Do I have to repay my student loans while I’m in school?
When do I have to repay my loan?
What are the repayment plan options and how do I select one?
How can I estimate my repayment amount?
Can I consolidate my federal student loans?
What are the federal student loan forgiveness options?
Military Education Benefits
Are there scholarship opportunities or tuition discounts for military students or family members?
How do I begin the process to apply for the GI Bill and other VA education benefits?
What is the deadline to apply for VA education benefits?
Will my military benefits cover the entire cost of the program?
What is the current payment rate of benefits, including the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA)?
Does MBA@UNC participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)?
Aside from the Post-9/11 GI Bill, what other military benefits does UNC accept or participate in?
- Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30) Active Duty Educational Assistance Program
- Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606) Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program
- Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)
- Veteran Readiness & Employment (Chapter 31)
- Fry Scholarship