An Online MBA Specializing in Strategy and Consulting
UNC Kenan-Flagler’s Strategy and Consulting concentration is designed to teach foundational skills in an experiential environment. Students who pursue an MBA concentration in Strategy and Consulting will emerge prepared to have an immediate impact as consultants or in corporate strategy roles within organizations by applying their enhanced problem-solving skill set.
Through a series of tailored courses and real-world client engagements, the Strategy and Consulting concentration improves students’ analytical and strategic thinking abilities, team leadership and client management skills.
Career Outlook for Consultants
As businesses continue to evolve alongside new technologies and ideas, skilled consultants and strategy professionals are in high demand to help businesses become more efficient. This demand has helped drive new job openings and increased salaries for consulting experts.
Consulting Job Market
806,400 Number of jobs in 2016
14% Projected industry growth by 2026
$82,450 Median annual salary in 2017
All statistics based on management analyst (also called management consultant) roles via the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (last modified April 13, 2018).
Careers in Consulting
Students who earn an MBA with a focus in strategy and consulting develop the skills to thrive in a number of consulting and internal strategy roles, including:
- Generalist Consultants — These individuals help businesses in a wide range of fields improve big-picture concepts, such as project management, team communication and operational efficiency.
- Specialist Consultants — These consultants develop expertise in a specialized field and act as mentors to businesses looking to gain a competitive edge in their industry.
- Managers/Directors of Corporate Strategy — These individuals typically work with numerous departments within an organization, helping to devise strategy or implement change.
- Freelance Consultants — These professionals may consult for businesses full or part time and can often consult for multiple clients simultaneously.
- Boutique Consulting Firm Owners — These entrepreneurs develop and manage teams of business consultants that assist small businesses in accomplishing specified goals.
Additional Consulting Job Titles
In addition to careers as consultants and corporate strategists, students who select this concentration will develop the skills to move into a range of strategic business roles, including:
- Business Analyst
- Research Associate
- Engagement Manager
- Change Management Consultant
- Implementation Consultant
- Consulting Advisor
Consulting Education at UNC Kenan-Flagler
At UNC Kenan-Flagler, we prepare our students for success in the field of consulting through our unique consulting curriculum, hands-on learning opportunities, personalized career and leadership services, and connections with the UNC Kenan-Flagler alumni network.
Strategy and Consulting Curriculum
The following strategy and consulting courses are currently offered to MBA@UNC students. However, course offerings are subject to change, and not all electives are offered every term.
- Business Strategy
- Marketing Strategy, Analysis and Development
- Corporate Strategy
- Global Supply Chain Management
- Information for Decision Making, Incentives and Strategy
- Managing Innovation
- Project Management
- Student Teams Achieving Results (STAR)
Our Strategy and Consulting concentration is led by faculty members who have extensive experience with some of the world's leading consulting firms. Our faculty leverage their direct experience in consulting and advising to lead collaborative classes and design practical coursework exercises.
Experiential Learning Opportunities
Student Teams Achieving Results (STAR)
The STAR program allows students to actively serve as consultants to leading corporations and nonprofit organizations. Under the guidance of faculty advisors, students are tasked with developing comprehensive recommendations and actionable strategies. Previous STAR clients have included the following:
- Best Harvest Bread Company
- City of Hertford — Green Marina
- Corning Cable
- GE Healthcare
- Gilbarco Veeder-Root
- Hanesbrands, Inc
- Hawkeye Indian Cultural Center
- Krispy Kreme
- Lowe's Companies, Inc
- North Carolina Botanical Garden
- Spruce Pine Main Street
- UNC — Board of Visitors
- YES! (Youth Empowered Solutions)
We complete more than 15 high-impact, action-oriented global consulting engagements each year. Learn more about the STAR program.
Global Immersion Consulting Tracks
Each year, MBA@UNC holds four Global Immersion outings in major business cities worldwide. Consulting is offered in some of the immersions as an optional learning track in which students compete in a live case competition held over the course of a weekend. Under the guidance of consulting faculty, students develop the problem analysis framework used in the consulting world and work in small teams to present their recommendations to global business executives.
Targeted Career Search Guidance
The Career & Leadership Services team works with students one-on-one to create an individualized career management strategy designed to maximize each student's return on their investment. Learn more about the services available to students.
MBA@UNC students have gone on to achieve success at some of the top consulting firms in the world, including:
- Boston Consulting Group (BCG)
- North Highland
Learn More About MBA@UNC
Learn how UNC Kenan-Flagler's top-ranked1 online MBA can help you advance your career in the field of consulting by downloading our comprehensive program brochure.