MBA@UNC: Veteran Benefits

UNC-Chapel Hill is approved by the Veterans Administration as a training facility for students receiving military education benefits.

To receive VA benefits for the MBA@UNC Program, you must:

  • Be admitted to the university;
  • Be registered for courses;
  • Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA. If you have used the benefits at a previous college, you must also submit a Change of Place of Training Form (22-1995 or if you are a Ch. 35 student, form 22-5495).
  • Provide admit documents (copy of UNC application, admit letter, copies of prior college transcripts) from your undergraduate institution. You can request that this information be sent directly from MBA@UNC Admissions Department to UNC's VA Certifying Official.
  • Complete and submit the UNC-CH Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data form once registered for classes.

After completion, all documents may be emailed, mailed, or faxed to the MBA@UNC VA Certifying Official.

Attn: Certifying Official
1205 Environ Way
Chapel Hill, NC 27517
Telephone: 919-962-0135
Fax: 919-962-0159

Please note: The VA is currently not covering the program costs associated with each immersion ($1000 per immersion, 2 immersions are required). Program costs account for transportation, food & lodging during the immersion and the VA will not pay for those expenses.

The VA Application Process

Where do I start?

To receive benefits, you must apply through the Department of Veterans Affairs. For instructions and application forms, please visit the VA website or you may contact them by phone at 1-888-GIBILL1. The submission of electronic applications using their VONAPP process is strongly encouraged.

What happens next?

The VA will process your application and send you a letter notifying you of their decision. Please be aware that it may take the VA several weeks to process your claim. If you are approved to receive benefits, you will receive a certificate of eligibility letter from the VA. Once you have received your certificate of eligibility, please submit a copy to the MBA@UNC VA Certifying Official along with copies of any high school and previous college transcripts and the UNC Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form.

After all of the required documents are received, the VA Certifying Official will submit a 22-1999 enrollment certification to the VA to initiate payments. This is submitted electronically and you will receive an email confirmation.

What benefits are available?

  • The Post- 9-11 GI Bill (Chapter 33): For individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001 or individuals discharged with a service connected disability after 30 days.
  • The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30): Active Duty Educational Assistance Program, generally for individuals who entered active duty after June 30, 1985 and served continuously for three years or by serving two years on active duty followed by four years of Selected Reserve. To be eligible, veterans must have contributed $1200 during their first year of military service. Veterans or service personnel cannot withdraw money paid into the fund.
  • The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606): Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program, for members of the Reserve elements of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and the Air National Guard. To be eligible, reservist must have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. No contribution is required.
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35): Educational assistance available to spouses and children of veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-related disability.
  • Disabled Veterans Assistance (Chapter 31): Vocational Rehabilitation for service-connected disability of 20% or greater. Benefit provides a monthly stipend and covers the cost of tuition, books and supplies. Eligibility is determined on an individual case basis.
  • Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP Chapter 32): For individuals who entered active duty service between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and served a continuous period of 181 days or more plus contributed toward the education program.
  • Vietnam Era GI Bill (Chapter 34): For individuals who entered active duty prior to December 31, 1976 and served a minimum of 181 days active duty after January 31, 1955. Benefits must have been used by January 1, 1990.

Click here to view the Benefits Comparison Chart.

VA Enrollment Certification Renewal

Enrollment Certification Renewal is not automatic.

You must submit the UNC Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form as soon as you register for the following term to re-activate your benefits and prevent a lapse in payment. You must complete this form each and every term you are enrolled in classes at UNC. Without a new enrollment form, your payments will stop. You must notify our VA Certifying Official if you withdraw or add and/or drop classes.

The VA will be notified of failure to maintain standards of attendance, progress, or conduct.When a student has failed to maintain the prescribed standard of attendance, progress, or conduct, the school must promptly notify the VA so that the VA can discontinue benefit payments in accordance with the law. If a student's progress or conduct becomes unsatisfactory, the termination date assigned by the school will be the last day of the term or other evaluation period in which the student's progress or conduct became unsatisfactory. In situations involving unsatisfactory attendance, benefits will be discontinued based on the student's last date of attendance as reported by the school.

Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607 veterans will not receive payment until they have also verified their monthly attendance directly with the VA. Enrollment can be verified starting on the last calendar day of the month by using the Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.