Next Application Deadline
April 24, 2017
An Online MBA Specializing in Sustainable Enterprise
To succeed in today's competitive consumer environment, many businesses seek to not only provide high-quality products or services but also to do so in a way that is environmentally, socially and civically responsible. This commitment to making the world a better place can be good for business and is often warmly welcomed by consumers.
In the sustainable enterprise concentration, MBA@UNC students learn how companies can be both profitable and responsible. Through MBA sustainability courses, students develop the skills to launch their own commercial enterprises, help their companies establish environmentally and socially responsible policies, or even work for nonprofit organizations or advocacy groups to make commerce more conscientious.
Career Outlook in Sustainable Enterprise
As awareness of social and environmental challenges spreads, so does the need for socially and environmentally conscious businesses. This demand has helped drive new job openings and increased salaries for sustainability professionals.
Sustainability Management Job Market
Positions created since 2011
Median annual salary in 2011
All statistics via the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Careers in Sustainable Enterprise
Students who earn an MBA specializing in sustainable enterprise develop the skills to thrive in a number of roles, including:
- Impact Investing—Impact investors find and support private, public or nonprofit businesses that focus on solving social or environmental challenges.
- Community Economic Development (CED)—CED organizations work with local businesses and citizens to help communities efficiently use resources to improve social conditions in a sustainable way.
- Sustainability Consulting—Sustainability consultants work with businesses to evaluate and improve processes and strategies with the goal of driving more sustainable long-term solutions.
- Renewable Energy and Clean Technology—Professionals who work with renewable energy and technology seek to develop new energy sources and reduce the negative environmental impact of existing technologies.
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)—CSR focuses on developing business practices that benefit society, such as committing to more “green” initiatives or promoting philanthropy at all levels of an organization.
- Sustainable Real Estate Development—Sustainable real estate developers invest in environmentally preferable properties, which typically have greater long-term value, viability and sustainability.
Job Titles in Sustainable Enterprise
With such a wide variety of businesses moving toward sustainable practices, it can often be helpful to know some of the specific job titles available to professionals with these unique skills:
- Sustainability Consultant
- Environmental Scientist
- Chemical Engineer
- Environmental Engineer
- Industrial Engineer
- Corporate Social Responsibility Manager
- Director of Sustainability
- Green Architect or Designer
- Carbon Reduction Manager
Sustainable Enterprise Education at UNC Kenan-Flagler
At UNC Kenan-Flagler, we prepare our students for success in the field of sustainability through our broad curriculum, hands-on learning opportunities, personalized career and leadership services, and connections with the UNC Kenan-Flagler alumni network.
Sustainable Enterprise Curriculum
Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Developing Economies
MBA@UNC students have the opportunity to enroll in select courses from partner schools that focus on sustainable development skills, including:
- Technology and Community Engagement
- Managing Economic Development
- International Relations Online from American University
- Global Politics of the Environment
Our sustainable enterprise concentration is led by faculty members who have extensive experience helping businesses focus on long-term sustainability. Our faculty leverage their direct experience to lead collaborative classes and design practical coursework exercises.
National Case Competitions
UNC Kenan-Flagler students have the opportunity to participate in a variety of sustainability-focused case competitions including:
- The National Net Impact Challenge
- The Carolina Challenge
- The Nespresso Sustainability MBA Challenge
- MBA Impact Investing Network & Training (MIINT)
Additionally, MBA students represent UNC Kenan-Flagler at two premier, invitation-only energy case competitions—the National Energy Finance Challenge and the Renewable Energy Case Competition.
Career Resources and Leadership Consulting Services
UNC Kenan-Flagler Center for Sustainable Enterprise (CSE)
Through education, research and outreach, the Center for Sustainable Enterprise has been empowering business leaders to build shareholder value while exercising environmental stewardship and promoting societal well-being for more than 15 years. Learn more about the CSE.
Sustainability Speaker Series
The UNC Kenan-Flagler Center for Sustainable Enterprise holds regular presentations from leaders in the sustainability field. Past speakers have included:
- Jonathan Reckford, CEO of Habitat for Humanity International
- Olympia Snowe, Former Senator and member of the House of Representatives from Maine
- Sherron Watkins, Former Vice President, Enron Corporation
Virtual Company Info Sessions
MBA@UNC offers live, Virtual Company Information Sessions hosted by executives and alumni from companies in a wide range of industries, including sustainability. These virtual sessions mirror traditional in-person recruiting sessions, giving employers direct access to MBA@UNC students through the same face-to-face online platform used to host MBA@UNC classes.
During virtual sessions, speakers can educate interested students about their company, its culture and its hiring needs. A resume book, generated after each session, is presented to the company's recruiting team. Speakers have included executives from companies such as:
The Career & Leadership Services team has exclusive access to national and specialized MBA conferences and career fairs, and it helps students prepare their resume or interview skills to make the most of their experience.
Targeted Career Search Guidance
The Career & Leadership Services team works with students one-on-one to create an individualized career management strategy designed to maximize each student's return on their investment. Learn more about the services available to students.
MBA@UNC students who selected the sustainable enterprise concentration have gone on to achieve success at influential organizations around the world, including:
Learn More About MBA@UNC's Sustainable Enterprise Concentration
Learn how UNC Kenan-Flagler's #1-ranked online MBA can help you advance your career in the field of sustainable enterprise by downloading our comprehensive program brochure.