Next Application Deadline
July 24, 2017
An Online MBA Specializing in Global Supply Chain Management
To compete in an increasingly globalized environment, every industry needs need leaders and managers fluent in the complexities of global supply chain management (SCM) — from sourcing raw materials to distributing end products to customers around the world.
Students in MBA@UNC's concentration in Global Supply Chain Management gain that fluency as they examine SCM principles in the context of large-scale business operations and best operating principles across various industries. With an emphasis on quantitative techniques, students develop both the advanced analytical skills and foundational SCM background needed to help companies improve processes, reduce costs and leverage emerging market opportunities.
Career Outlook for Global Supply Chain Managers
Increasingly, demand for supply chain managers will be driven by the need to reduce costs as raw materials and finished products are moved around the globe.
Supply Chain Job Market
Net growth in hiring
Median annual salary with a bachelor's degree
Median annual salary with an MBA
All statistics via the 2014 APICS Supply Chain Council Operations Management Employment Outlook.
Careers in Global Supply Chain Management
Students who earn an MBA concentrating in global supply chain management pursue a variety of careers in:
- Operations Management—This multidisciplinary function involves designing, executing and/or controlling the array of internal processes required to take a product or service from concept to final delivered product—efficiently and cost-effectively.
- Process Improvement—Professionals in this field work to identify, analyze and improve existing business processes to meet company goals or improve the quality of services or products.
- Logistics—Professionals in this field plan, control and execute the movement and storage of information, goods and services from origin to destination.
- Procurement—Procurement managers work on behalf of their companies to acquire the right goods and services at the right price and to ensure those goods and services are delivered on time. Also referred to as purchasing agents and buyers, these professionals are critical to ensuring a company has the materials and services it needs to bring a product to market.
- Management Consulting—Consulting engagements vary widely based on client needs and industry, but typical SCM assignments include identifying improvements to procurement, production and distribution systems; redesigning and/or automating systems; and developing inventory reduction strategies.
Job Titles in Global Supply Chain Management
- Supply Chain Manager/Analyst
- Production Planner
- Senior Expeditor
- Purchasing/Procurement Director
- VP, Logistics
- Inventory Planner
- Warehouse Supervisor
Global Supply Chain Management Education at UNC Kenan-Flagler
At UNC Kenan-Flagler, we prepare our students to advance their careers in SCM, operations, management and other leadership roles through a rigorous curriculum, personalized career and professional development services, and connections with the UNC Kenan-Flagler alumni network.
Global Supply Chain Management Curriculum
The Global Supply Management concentration is led by faculty with extensive experience advising the world's leading corporations in operations, SCM, quality assurance and sustainability practices. With management and consulting experience in industries ranging from health care to electronics and computer manufacturing, they provide students with insights into an array of industries and career paths.
Career & Leadership Consulting Services
Virtual Company Info Sessions
MBA@UNC offers live Virtual Company Information Sessions hosted by executives and alumni from companies in a wide range of industries. These virtual sessions mirror traditional in-person recruiting sessions, giving employers direct access to our SCM students using the same face-to-face online platform used to host MBA@UNC classes.
During virtual sessions, guest speakers from leading corporations provide students with an inside look at their companies' goals, culture and hiring needs. After each session, student resumes are compiled for submission to the company's recruiting team.
Previous speakers include SCM and logistics professionals from:
Targeted Career Search Guidance
The Career & Leadership Services team works with students one-on-one to create an individualized career management strategy designed to maximize each student's return on their investment.
MBA@UNC students specializing in global supply chain management have gone on to achieve success in leading corporations, including:
The Coca-Cola Company
MBA@UNC Class of 2013
Learn More About MBA@UNC
Take the first steps to becoming a leader in global supply chain management. Discover why The Princeton Review ranks the MBA@UNC the nation's best online MBA program.