Next Application Deadline
April 24, 2017
An Online MBA Specializing in Corporate Finance
MBA@UNC's Corporate Finance MBA concentration is designed for working professionals pursuing careers in the fast-paced, competitive financial sector. With an emphasis on leadership development, this concentration helps prepare students to embark upon or progress within careers at organizations such as investment and commercial banks, financial management consultancies, private equity firms and venture capital companies.
Through a variety of elective courses, this concentration helps students learn about different aspects of corporate finance, including derivatives, financial statement analysis, fixed income, managerial accounting, real estate finance, taxes and business strategy. In addition, students will learn how to nurture their business acumen and leadership skills and apply them to real-world situations.
Careers in Corporate Finance
Encompassing a wide variety of positions, corporate finance is a competitive field offering excellent compensation for those with the right skills and credentials. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, candidates with a master's degree or certification will have the best job prospects.
Finance Job Market
Number of jobs in 2014
Projected industry growth by 2024
Median annual salary in 2015
All statistics via the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Careers in Corporate Finance
Graduates with an MBA in corporate finance are positioned to excel in roles in:
- Accounting and Auditing—Whether working in public accounting firms or industry, accountants and auditors are typically responsible for examining and preparing financial records, ensuring compliance with applicable tax law and generally accepted accounting procedures, and recommending ways to improve operations and financial performance. Depending upon duties, additional credentials such as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license may be required.
- Financial Analysis—These highly skilled professionals help businesses evaluate investment decisions based on industry and economic trends, current and past business performance and valuation of assets. Analysts work across a range of industries, including investment and commercial banking, private equity, pension fund management and insurance companies.
- Taxation—Finance professionals specializing in this field play a critical role in evaluating the tax implications of business decisions and recommending strategies to minimize the taxes paid. Depending upon their credentials, they may also prepare corporate or individual tax returns.
- Investment Banking—Investment banks perform a wide variety of services including advising businesses and government agencies on how to raise capital, facilitating mergers and acquisitions, pricing financial instruments and acting as brokers and financial advisors to institutional clients.
- Private Equity—Raising capital from high net worth individuals and institutional investors, private equity firms invest in privately held companies for the purpose of developing new products, expanding operations or restructuring ownership. Professionals often enter these firms as analysts.
Job Titles in Finance
- Budget Analyst
- Chief Financial Officer
- Director of Finance
- Financial Manager
- Payroll Director
Corporate Finance Education at UNC Kenan-Flagler
At UNC Kenan-Flagler, we prepare our students for success in corporate finance through a rigorous curriculum, hands-on learning opportunities, personalized career and leadership services and connections with the UNC Kenan-Flagler alumni network.
Corporate Finance Curriculum
Financial Statement Analysis
Information for Decision Making, Incentives & Strategy
Mergers and Acquisitions
Real Estate Finance and Investments
Taxes and Business Strategy
The corporate finance faculty includes experienced finance industry leaders as well as award-winning researchers and educators. Combining real-world experience and cutting-edge research, our faculty offers unique insights in fields ranging from entrepreneurial finance and financial intermediation to asset pricing models.
Career & Leadership Consulting Services
Virtual Company Info Sessions
MBA@UNC offers live Virtual Company Information Sessions hosted by executives and alumni from companies in a wide range of industries. These virtual sessions mirror traditional in-person recruiting sessions, giving employers direct access to our corporate finance students using the same face-to-face online platform used to host MBA@UNC classes.
During virtual sessions, guest speakers from leading corporations provide students with an inside look at their companies' goals, culture and hiring needs. After each session, student resumes are compiled for submission to the company's recruiting team.
Speakers have included executives from financial firms such as:
Targeted Career Search Guidance
The Career & Leadership Services team works with students one-on-one to create an individualized career management strategy designed to maximize each student's return on their investment.
MBA@UNC students who selected the Corporate Finance concentration have gone on to positions at some of the world's leading corporations, including:
Learn More About MBA@UNC
Take the first steps to becoming a leader in corporate finance. Discover why The Princeton Review ranks the MBA@UNC the nation's best online MBA program.