Student Teams Achieving Results (STAR)
STAR sends teams of top MBA@UNC students to build comprehensive and actionable strategies for corporations and not-for-profit organizations seeking to strengthen their competitiveness. Teams are typically comprised of 5-7 MBA@UNC students, with one student serving as the Project Leader. All teams are guided by both a faculty advisor with significant business consulting/corporate experience, and an executive from the client organization.
STAR Projects are focused on large companies or not-for-profits who recruit and employ our students. Organizations whose projects are accepted for the program benefit from the help of students who are skilled at working with others and whose interests and expertise match the needs of each project. Our MBA@UNC students have met rigorous criteria in order to be admitted to one of the nation’s very best business schools. Many of our students come from business backgrounds and work an average of 8 years prior to entering the program.
STAR sets itself apart from other programs due to the combination of three distinctive elements:
- Talented Student Consultants — from UNC Kenan-Flagler’s MBA@UNC program
- Experienced Consulting Faculty — from major consulting firms and Fortune 50 companies
- Proven Methodologies — state of the art tools, including the best-selling TEAM FOCUS model
Benefits to students:
- Brings business school courses to life
- Teaches integration of key analytical frameworks
- Builds two types of leadership skills: thought and people leadership
- Adds relevant experience to the resume
- Provides potential placement with client organizations
Recent STAR clients include:
- Best Harvest Bread Company
- Corning Cable
- GE Healthcare
- Gilbarco Veeder-Root
- Hanesbrands, Inc
- Krispy Kreme
- Lowe’s Companies, Inc
- City of Hertford — Green Marina
- Hawkeye Indian Cultural Center
- North Carolina Botanical Garden
- Spruce Pine Main Street
- UNC — Board of Visitors
- YES! (Youth Empowered Solutions)
All Kenan-Flagler Business School MBA@UNC students interested in participating in STAR should demonstrate in their application that they have taken other courses and/or had experiences that have provided significant opportunities for team problem solving.
If you are a student interested in the program, or a client organization interested in being chosen for a STAR project, please contact Suzanne L'Amoureux, Associate Director of Student Affairs for MBA@UNC at 919-962-0258.