Our Commitment To Privacy
The Information We Collect
Examples of non-personally identifiable information that the Website collects automatically include:
- Your internet protocol (“IP”) address;
- Your internet browser information;
- Your computer’s operating system; and
- Your navigation path while using the Website.
In addition to the information that we collect automatically, we may also collect information that you provide to us.
Examples of personally identifiable information that you provide to us include:
- Your registration information, such as your name, address, email address, telephone number, etc;
- Your application information, such as your personal information, program information, academic background, employment information, financial aid information, scholarship information, essays, recommendations and uploads; and
- Your communications to us.
The Way We Use Your Information:
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one or more of the following ways:
- To provide information about the Program to you, upon request;
- To process your application to the Program;
- To personalize your experience on the Website (your information helps us better respond to your individual needs);
- To improve the Website (we continually strive to improve Website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you);
- To process specific inquiries that you make of us;
- To send promotional emails and other updates to our users. Users may opt out of receiving such promotional electronic mailings by following the unsubscribe feature contained within the mailing; and
- For other marketing purposes, such as to alert you to programs or services that may be of interest to you.
Your Rights Under The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”)
If you enroll in the Program, the disclosure of any personal information that you provide to us and/or information that we may create that pertains to you, may be protected under FERPA. You may also have specific rights related to accessing and/or updating your personal information. For more information related to the applicability of FERPA and your rights under it, please contact the Program’s Privacy Officer by mail at Privacy Officer, 8201 Corporate Drive, Suite 190, Landover, MD 20785, or by submitting your request via email to privacy@2U.com.
Sharing Your Information with Third Parties
We respect your right to privacy and will follow all applicable laws and regulations concerning the release of your personal information (including FERPA, described above). Occasionally, we may disclose the information we collect (other than your application to the Program) to third-parties for either commercial or non-commercial purposes. We may also disclose the information that we collect under other circumstances, as permitted or required by law.
Your application to the Program will be held in strict confidence and will be used for admissions purposes only. Once you submit a completed application to the Program, we forward your application to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (“University”). Such submission may be made through the use of a third-party application service. Once submitted to University, we no longer maintain control over the use of the information contained in your application.
Our Commitment To Data Security
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the appropriate use of the information we collect online, we have put appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures into place to safeguard and secure that information. We load all information collected from our users directly into our Customer Relationship Management (“CRM”) provider, Salesforce.com, which employs firewall protected server authentication and data encryption. This ensures that your information is safe, secure, and available only to registered users in the provider’s organization and/or to other authorized users, as determined by the Website provider in accordance with commercially reasonable standards.
Our Commitment To Children’s Privacy
Protecting the privacy of children under the age of 13 is especially important to us. For that reason, we never collect or maintain information on or through our Website from users that we actually know are under 13, and no part of our Website is structured to attract anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, please do not provide any information to us that would or could identify you personally. If you are a parent or guardian and believe that your child under the age of 13 has provided personal information through this Website, please let us know so that we may use commercially reasonable efforts to remove that information from our systems.
Accessing and Updating Personal Information
Once you deliver information to us, it is stored in our CRM system. If you wish to make any changes to the information that you have provided to us, please email your request to marketing@2U
.com or call us at 888.9UNC.MBA. We will use all reasonable efforts to comply with your request.
Third Party Links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include links on this Website to third party websites that we do not own or operate. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy and other policies and/or terms. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of this Website and welcome any feedback you may have about these sites.
How To Contact Us
This policy was last revised on 7/26/11 and is effective as of that date.